Our Humboldt penguins are temporarily off exhibit.
Open 9:00AM Daily
Parking is Free Everyday
Last admission at 4:30PM
Building closes at 5:00PM
Aquarium of Niagara's Zoological Commissary
The Aquarium of Niagara operates two separate zoological kitchens, which service the dietary and nutritional needs of our entire living collection. Both spaces are used for food preparation, diet management, detailed record keeping and storage of all dishes, buckets, trays and food bins we use when preparing and delivering food to the Aquarium's animal inhabitants.
All of these functions must be in compliance with requirements outlined by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for the care of marine mammals, which are subject to inspection at any time. As the Aquarium of Niagara continues its pursuit of accreditation by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), scheduled for 2017, renovations of these spaces are required.
To meet these requirements we are combining the two separate kitchen spaces into one master commissary for the building. Our plans call for exceeding the requirements outline by AZA, comply with all federal regulations and enhance the ability of animal care staff to satisfy the dietary needs of the institution's diverse animal collection.
The renovated commissary will replace the Aquarium's existing marine mammal kitchen and record office with a state-of-the-art food service area that will feature new flooring, upgraded lighting, regulatory wall coverings, auxiliary water supply and floor drainage, enhanced dietary equipment and improved sanitization procedures.
- Stainless-steel shelving for existing marine mammal refrigerator
- Stainless steel faucets for existing marine mammal sink
- 72" stainless steel sink with 3 bays
- 24" stainless steel sink with 1 bay
- 5' stainless steel table with casters
- Two 72" stainless steel counter
- Four Stainless steel shelving units
- Two 3/4 Horsepower commercial-grade garbage disposals
- Two Electronic/digital scales rated for 50 lbs.
- 36" w 72" h coated wire shelving/storage unit
- Parts/plumbing for installation of second sink
- Two commercial sink sprayers
- UV Insect Light
- Submersible sump pup with self-activating pup
Structural Needs: the following list describes structural needs within the project.
- Trenching to improve floor drainage
- Upgrade waste water & drain supply lines to accommodate increased capacity
- 400 feet of Flooring to replace existing tile
- 960 square feet of FRP wall covering for perimeter wall
- Replace drywall between maintenance shop and current marine mammal kitchen
- HVAC-AC unit and new ducting
- Electrical lines/outlets to replace existing equipment
- Replacement door and door frame